Hi everyone! Here’s the recipe of a Chocolate and Apple Charlotte Cake ? It’s made up of Chocolate Ladyfingers, some Chocolate Mousse and some Apple Compote ? The Mousse is so smooth and creamy and the biscuits are very moist. This Charlotte Cake is very easy to make and it’s a very light dessert to enjoy at the end of a dinner! This recipe is so easy to make with only a few preparations!
For a 20cm in diameter Charlotte Cake:
- 6 eggs
- 150g of sugar
- 143g of flour
- 23g of cocoa powder
- Some icing sugar
- 250g of apples
- 2 sachets of vanilla sugar
- 5 tsp of vanilla extract
- 250g of full liquid cream
- 160g of dark chocolate
- 50g of granulated sugar
- 50g of eggs (= 1)
- 60g of egg yolks (= ~3)
- 50g of water
- 20g of water
- 20g of granulated sugar
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract
- 200g of dark chocolate
We’ll start with the ladyfingers:
1. Separate the eggs.
2. Whisk the egg whites by adding the sugar in several time. Start at low speed and then increase the speed gradually.
3. Add the egg yolks and gently combine.
4. Finish off by adding the sifted flour and cocoa powder. Gently mix.
5. Place the mixture in a pastry bag fitted with a plain 16mm tip.
6. Pipe 2 circles of 18cm in diameter as well as 6cm long sticks.
7. Sprinkle with some icing sugar and let it rest for 10-15min.
8. Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F fan-assisted.
9. Sprinkle a second time with icing sugar and cook the biscuits for ~12min. The edges must be golden.
10. Let them cool down.
For the compote:
1. Peel and cut the apples into small cubes.
2. Place them in a saucepan with the vanilla sugar and the vanilla extract.
3. Cook over low/medium heat for at least 20min. Stir from time to time. You can either cover the pan or add a dash of water if the bottom sticks. The apples must turn into compote.
4. Keep in a bowl until use.
For the Mousse:
1. Whip the liquid cream until it forms soft peaks. Refrigerate until use.
2. In a bowl, mix the egg, the egg yolks, the water and the sugar.
3. Place the bowl over a bain-marie and whisk until it reaches 83°C.
4. Transfer the mixture into another bowl and whisk with a hand mixer until the preparation triples in size and becomes very creamy and fluffy (it takes about 10min).
5. Melt the chocolate and let it cool down to 45-50°C.
6. Add to the chocolate the previously whipped cream in several times. Gently combine with a spatula.
7. Finally, add the egg mixture to the chocolate/whipped cream. Gently mix.
It’s time to assemble!
1. For the syrup: Bring to boil the water, sugar and vanilla extract.
2. Wrap the bottom of a 20cm mold with cling film.
3. Place a layer of biscuit at the bottom of the mold. Soak it with syrup.
4. Make sure that all the sticks have the same height. Place them around the mold.
5. Pour half of the mousse inside the mold.
6. Cover with the second layer of biscuit and soak it with syrup.
7. Spread the compote over the biscuit.
8. Finish off by adding the rest of the mousse. Leave a 0,5-1cm border.
9. Refrigerate overnight.
10. The next day, take the chocolate bar and use a peeler to create chocolate shavings.
11. Add them on top of the mousse.
12. Gently unmold and serve!
Your Apple and Chocolate Charlotte Cake is ready! Enjoy!
Please feel free to ask all your questions in the comment section and don’t forget to send me pictures of your realisation on my email address: email@example.com or send me a DM on my Instagram account: blog_justonemorecake , I will post them at the end of the post 🙂