Hi everyone! Today I’ll share with you a very greedy recipe of a dessert that you’ve probably all eaten at least one in your life, the Apple Pie. However, this pie is slightly different. For even more texture, I’ve added on the top a delicious crumble ? So this pie is made up of a pie crust with high edges, filled with some apple compote flavored with cinnamon and dried raisin, with on top a crunchy crumble! What I also love about this pie is these high edges which allow more filling so it is even more delicious and mouth-watering ?
For a 22cm in diameter and 6,5cm high Pie:
- 250g of flour
- 125g of butter
- 125g of sugar (granulated or icing sugar)
- 1 egg
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1/2 sachet of baking powder (6g)
- 1600g of Golden apple (~12)
- 100g of honey (or sugar)
- 100g of lemon juice
- 80g of butter
- 2 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar
- 120g of dried raisins
- 180g of flour
- 50g of sugar
- 120g of butter
- 1 tsp of cinnamon
- 1 pinch of salt
Let’s begin with the pie crust (you can make it a day ahead):
1. In a bowl, combine the cubes of cold butter with the flour, salt, sugar and baking powder. Mix with the flat beater of a stand mixer until you get a sandy texture with no big chunks of butter left. You can also make this step with your hands.
2. Add the egg and mix until it forms a homogenous ball.
3. Wrap the dough with cling film and refrigerate minimum 1h.
For the compote:
1. Peel and cut the apples into small to medium cubes.
2. Place them in a saucepan with the honey (or sugar), the vanilla sugar, the cinnamon, the butter and the lemon juice.
3. Cook over medium heat for ~20-30min or until half of the apple cubes turn into compote. Don’t forget to stir regularly so the bottom doesn’t burn.
4. Off the heat, add the dried raisins.
5. Place the compote in a bowl and let it cool down.
Last preparation, the crumble:
1. In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, salt and cinnamon.
2. Sprinkle with the softened butter. To have softened butter you need to leave it at room-temperature at least 1h30.
3. Mix with the tip of your fingers until everything is perfectly combined.
4. Refrigerate 30min.
It’s time to assemble!
1. Take your dough out of the fridge and split it into 2.
2. Roll out the first half into a 3mm thick circle. Cut a 22cm circle and place it over a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Keep the mold around (I use an entremet mold).
3. Roll out the other half into a 3mm thick rectangle. Cut 6,5cm wide strips. If the dough is too soft to be manipulated, place it a couple of minutes in the freezer.
4. Place the strips inside the mold, make sure they are perfectly welded to the bottom.
5. Garnish with the apple compote and leave a 1/2cm border.
6. Sprinkle the surface with the crumble. Personally, I like when there are big chunks, so I mash the crumble in my hand to create big chunks.
7. Preheat the oven to 220°C (fan-assisted). Cook for 15min. Then, reduce the temperature to 175°C and cook for 20 more minutes. The crumble and the crust must have a nice golden color.
8. Wait until it is completely cold before unmolding.
Your Apple Pie is ready! Sprinkle with some icing sugar and serve!
Don’t forget to write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to share your pictures of the recipe and your opinions! I will add them at the bottom of this article. If you have any questions please leave a comment!