Hi everyone! Are you ready for a very tasty recipe? 🙂 These are Chocolate Pies inspired by those of the French Pastry Chef Yannick Begel. They are made up of a Sweet Crust, a Hazelnut/Cocoa Cream, a Chocolate Cream baked in the oven and finally a smooth Chocolate Whipped Ganache with some Praline on top 😍
I think making a coca sweet crust will look even prettier!
For 4 pies of 8cm in diameter:
- 100g of flour
- 9g of cocoa powder
- 50g of butter
- 50g of sugar
- 13g of almond powder
- 20g of eggs
- 1 pinch of salt
- 30g of butter
- 30g of sugar
- 30g of eggs
- 30g of hazelnut powder
- 4g of cocoa powder
- 90g of semi-skimmed milk
- 90g of full liquid cream
- 40g of eggs
- 120g of dark chocolate
- 200g of full liquid cream
- 90g of dark chocolate
- 2,4g of powdered gelatin
- 58g of almonds
- 58g of hazelnuts
- 75g of sugar
- 18g of water
- 1 pinch of salt
We’ll start with the Chocolate Ganache:
1. Hydrate the gelatin in 6 times its weight in cold water. Let it sit for 15min.
2. Chop the chocolate finely.
3. Bring to boil 1/3 of cream. Pour over the chocolate, add the gelatin and mix with a hand blender.
4. Add the 2/3 of remaining cream (cold). Stir with a spatula.
5. Wrap with cling film (it must touch the surface) and refrigerate overnight.
For the Sweet Crust:
1. Cream the softened butter with the sugar. Add the eggs and the almond powder. Mix vigorously.
2. Add the sifted flour, cocoa powder and salt. Mix until a homogenous dough forms.
3. Divide the dough in half. Spread each half to a 3mm thickness between two parchment papers.
4. Cut 4 disks of 8cm in diameter as well as 4 strips with a width equal to the height of your pie rings.
5. Refrigerate until the dough hardens.
6. Then, take a strip and place it inside the pie ring, press against the walls. Place the ring over the disk of dough. With your finger make sure that both parts are perfectly welded to each other.
7. Cut the excess with a knife. Keep some dough to make thin disks of various diameters (for the decoration).
8. Refrigerate until use.
For the Hazelnut/Cocoa Cream:
1. Cream the softened butter with the sugar.
2. Add the hazelnut powder, the cocoa powder and the salt. Mix to combine.
3. Spread the mixture inside the pies (about 20g per pie).
4. Refrigerate until use.
For the Chocolate Cream:
1. Preheat the oven to 170°C.
2. Melt the chocolate in a bain-marie.
3. Bring to boil the cream and milk. Pour in 3 times over the chocolate. Stir with a spatula.
4. When the preparation’s temperature is below 50°C add the eggs and mix.
5. Fill the pies with the cream.
6. Cook for around 20-25°C.
7. Let it cool down before unmolding.
8. Cook the disks of dough for the decoration too. These don’t need much time in the oven (~7-10min).
For the Praline:
1. Heat the water and sugar to 116°C.
2. Add the hazelnut and almonds. Stir and cook until all the sugar caramelizes. Spread over a silicone mat.
3. Once cold, mix the preparation to obtain a very fluid and smooth praline.
It’s time to assemble!
1. Whip the Chocolate Ganache at medium-speed until soft peaks form.
2. Place in a pastry bag fitted with a wide tip (I used a tip of 16mm in diameter, but a wider one would be even better).
3. Pipe the Ganache as a dome over the pie.
4. Create a slight cavity over the cream to pipe some praline.
5. Decorate with shredded chocolate, the disks of dough and hazelnut halves.
Your pies are ready!
Please feel free to ask all your questions in the comment section and don’t forget to send me pictures of your realisation on my email address: email@example.com or send me a DM on my Instagram account: blog_justonemorecake , I will post them at the end of the post 🙂