Hi everyone! Today’s recipe is a very famous dessert eaten in France called the “Crème caramel” which is a vanilla cream cooked in the oven with a delicious caramel. The recipe is very easy to make and comes from one of the most famous French pastry Chef, Philippe Conticini.
For 6 creme caramel of 100g each:
- 500g of whole milk
- 100g of eggs (=2)
- 30g of egg yolks (1 egg yolk and a bit of the second)
- 72g of sugar
- 2 vanilla beans
- 200g of sugar
- 20g of water
1. Heat the milk with the vanilla bean and let it infuse minimum 10min (for more flavors, I suggest you to let it infuse one night in the fridge).
2. In a bowl, mix the egg yolks with the sugar until it whitens.
3. When the milk is at 35°C, pour it in a thin stream over the previous mixture while stirring with a silicone spatula. If you’ve let the milk infuse one night in the fridge, just heat it unitl it reaches the right temperature.
4. Let the mixture sit 10min so the bubbles on the surface can disappear.
In the meantime let’s do the caramel:
1. In a saucepan, heat until boiling point the sugar and the water. Let it cook a few minutes over medium heat until it has a nice auburn color, the temperature is around 198°. You can stir the caramel a couple of times with a wooden spoon so it doesn’t burn. If you make a smaller amount of caramel, don’t wait until the temparature is at 198° because the caramel will have a nice color before.
2. Put the saucepan on a damp cloth to stop the cooking and pour immediately 11g of caramel in each jar. Make circles with the jars to spread the caramel evenly. You must do this step quickly because the caramel hardens very fast.
3. Once the 10min are over, skim the top of the mixture to remove the remaining bubbles.
4. Pour 100g of cream in each jar and place them in a deep baking tray.
5. Fill the bottom of the baking tray with luckwarm water until it reachs one third of the jars.
6. Cook in a 140°C preheated oven for 1h (the cooking time will depend on the size of your jars and you oven). The creams are cooked when they slightly jiggle. You can also put a knife in the middle and it must come out dry.
7. Refrigerate until they are completely cold.
To serve them, just turn the jars upside down, you can unstick the edges with a knife and it should easily fell down.
Don’t forget to write an email to email@example.com to share your pictures of the recipe and your opinions! I will add them at the bottom of this article.