Hi everyone! Here is a nice recipe for snack time, the famous French Palmier cookies, made of puff pastry. I use the fast puff pastry technique and it works very good, it gives the exact same result as the traditional one and takes half the time.
For 25 palmiers:
Puff Pastry: (it gives 270g)
- 125g of flour
- 100g of butter
- 63mL of water
- 2,5g of salt
- 1 sachet of vanilla sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tbsp of water
Syrup: (optional, but it will give them a nice shine)
- 10g of water
- 10g of honey
Let’s begin with the puff pastry.
1. Roughly mix the sifted flour with the very cold butter, cut in small pieces, and the salt. You can use your hands or the flat beater of a stand mixer.
2. Add the very cold water and stir until everything is well-combined. Careful not to over mix, there must still remain pieces of butter, it’s normal.
3. Put the dough on a lightly floured work surface and roll out. The length should be approximately three times longer than the width.
4. Fold the top of the dough on the center, then the bottom on it. Before folding, remove the excess of flour. Don’t panic, the pictures speak for themselves. 🙂
5. Turn the dough of quarter turn to the left or to the right. Once you’ve chosen the direction you must keep it for the next turns.
6. Repeat four more times the steps 3 to 5. In the end, you’ll have folded the dough 5 times. If you encounter difficulties while working the dough, you can place it a few minutes in the fridge or flour even more the surface.
7. When you’re done, refrigerate minimum 30min.
For the syrup:
1. Bring the water and the honey to boil. Keep until use.
1. Mix the sugar and the vanilla sugar.
2. Roll out your dough on a floured surface into a 35x25cm rectangle. Slightly brush the surface with water and sprinkle generously with the sugar and vanilla sugar.
3. Roll up tightly each end, in the width, until the half.
4. Place your roll in the freezer for 10 minutes.
5. Cut pieces of 1cm thickness. Put them on a baking tray covered with parchment paper. Slightly brush the surface with the egg wash.
6. Cook for 15 minutes in a 180°C preheated oven, fan-assissted (otherwise normal). When they have a nice golden color, brush with the syrup and cook for one more minute in the hot oven.
Let it cool down and enjoy with a nice cup of tea or hot milk.
Don’t forget to write an email to email@example.com to share your pictures of the recipe and your opinions! I will add them at the bottom of this article.