Hi everyone! Did you miss Baked Flan? The wait is over because here’s the recipe of a delicious Hazelnut Baked Flan ? This one is made up of a Sweet Crust, a Hazelnut Baked Flan Cream and some Caramelized Almonds/Hazelnuts ? This Flan is sooo creamy and the taste of hazelnut is incredible! I’ve purposely made a lower border so I could decorate the cream with the caramelized nuts, but you can make a higher border if you wish 🙂
For a 18cm in diameter Flan:
- 75g of butter
- 75g of sugar (granulated or icing)
- 150g of flour
- 30g of eggs
- 18g of powdered hazelnut (optional)
- 1 pinch of salt
- 120g of hazelnuts
- 2 eggs
- 130g of sugar
- 70g of corn starch
- 666g of whole milk
- 113g of full liquid cream
- 66g of butter
- 80g of hazelnut paste
- 30g of hazelnuts
- 30g of almonds
- 40g of sugar
- 10g of water
- 0,5 pinch of salt
We’ll start with the sweet crust:
1. Cream the softened butter with the sugar. You need to take the butter out of the fridge at least 1h30 before starting.
2. Add the eggs and the hazelnut powder (optional) and mix.
3. Finish off by adding the flour and the salt. Mix until you have a homogenous paste.
4. Wrap with cling film and refrigerate at least 1h (you can also make it the day before).
5. Take 2/3 of the dough.
6. Spread this part between two parchment papers to a 3mm thickness. Cut a 18cm circle. Place the circle at the bottom of the mold.
7. Take the scraps and spread them with the rest of the dough to a rectangular shape. Cut 2,5cm wide strips (or ~5cm for a higher border. You will need to adjust the height depending on the level of the cream).
8. Freeze the strips for 10-15min so they become easier to manipulate.
9. Now place the strips inside the mold and make sure they are perfectly welded to the bottom.
10. Refrigerate the mold until use.
For the hazelnut paste:
1. Roast the hazelnuts for 10-15min in a 150°C/302°F.
2. Let them cool down.
3. Mix in a blender until you get a smooth and liquid paste.
For the Baked Cream:
1. Briefly whisk the eggs with the sugar.
2. Add the corn starch.
3. Bring to boil the cream and milk.
4. Pour over the egg mixture in 3 times. Mix.
5. Bring everything back to the pan and cook over medium heat, while stirring, until it thickens and boils.
6. Off the heat, add the butter and the hazelnut paste.
7. Pour the cream into the mold.
8. Refrigerate until the cream cools down completely.
9. Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F fan-assisted.
10. Cook for ~50min. The surface must be golden and the center must still jiggle.
11. Let it cool down and then refrigerate at least 4h before unmolding.
For the decoration: (optional)
1. Cook the sugar and water until it reaches 116°C.
2. Add the almonds and hazelnuts.
3. Cook over low/medium heat, while mixing, until they caramelize.
4. Spread over a tray.
5. You have two options to decorate the Flan:
1) After you’ve unmolded the Flan, stick the hot almonds/hazelnuts on the cream. The hot caramel will make them stick.
2) Let the almonds/hazelnuts cool down. Then, make a caramel with 40g of sugar. Use this caramel to stick the almonds and hazelnuts.
Your Hazelnut Baked Flan is ready!
Please feel free to ask all your questions in the comment section and don’t forget to send me pictures of your realisation on my email address: firstname.lastname@example.org or send me a DM on my Instagram account: blog_justonemorecake , I will post them at the end of the post 🙂