Hi everyone! I’ve recently started a new challenge on my Instagram account where we have to create each month a dessert using an unusual ingredient. This month it’s the black pepper that we’ll include in a dessert! So, I’ve decided to make a Strawberry, Lemon and Black Pepper Pavlova 🍋 It’s made up of a very crunchy Meringue, filled with some Strawberry/Black Pepper Compote, some Lemon Curd and some Black Pepper Ganache. These three flavors combine amazingly. We have the sweetness from the meringue and the compote, balanced with the acidity of the curd and spiced with the black pepper ganache 😍 If you recreate this dessert tag me on my Instagram accout!
Where I live it’s the season of strawberries, but if it’s not the case for you, you can either use frozen strawberries or make the recipe without the compote! 🍓
For 3 Meringues of 8cm in diameter:
- 120g of egg whites (= 4)
- 120g of granulated sugar
- 120g of icing sugar
- 25g of butter
- 18g of sugar
- 50g of eggs (= 1 egg)
- 35g of lemon juice
- The zest of 1 lemon
- 1,25g of powdered gelatin (or sheets)
Strawberry/Black Pepper Compote:
- 100g of strawberries
- 3g of sugar
- 3g of lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- + 50g of fresh strawberries
Black Pepper Ganache:
- 150g of full liquid cream
- 75g of white chocolate
- 1,8g of powdered gelatin
- 3g of black pepper (or 4 generous pinches)
We’ll start with the ganache:
1. Hydrate the gelatin in 6 times its weight in cold water. Let it bloom for 10min.
2. Bring to boil half of the cream (75g) with the black pepper. Let it infuse for 1h.
3. Melt the chocolate.
4. Heat the infused cream and pour it in 3 times over the melted chocolate. Mix vigorously.
5. Add the hydrated gelatin and the other half of cold cream (75g). Mix with a hand blender to homogenize.
6. Wrap with cling film (it must touch the surface) and refrigerate overnight.
For the lemon curd:
1. Hydrate the gelatin.
2. Melt the butter.
3. Add the egg, the sugar, the lemon juice and the zests.
4. Cook over medium heat, while stirring, until the cream boils and thickens.
5. Off the heat, add the hydrated gelatin.
For the compote:
1. In a saucepan, place the strawberries, the sugar, the lemon juice and the black pepper.
2. Cook over low/medium heat for at least 20min until you have a thick compote. You must stir from time to time.
3. Store in a jar until use.
For the Meringues:
1. Preheat the oven to 75°C/167°F fan-assisted.
2. Whisk the egg whites by adding the granulated sugar in 4-5 times. You must increase the speed gradually. The egg whites must be shiny and form firm peaks.
3. Add the icing sugar in several times and gently combine using a spatula.
4. Over a baking paper, make 3 domes of 8cm in diameter as well as 3 thin bases of also 8cm in diameter. I’ve used a tart ring to have a nice shape. Sprinkle with black pepper and lemon zests.
5. Cook for 1h15. Then, take the domes and the bases out of the oven. With a spoon, carefully empty the domes from the bottom. Cook the domes for 15 more minutes.
6. Let them cool down.
We can assemble!
1. Take the Ganache out of the fridge and whip it at medium speed until it thickens. Place it in a pastry bag and refrigerate 1h.
2. Also whisk the lemon curd to loosen it. Place it in a pastry bag and refrigerate 1h.
3. Take 50g of the compote and add to it 50g of fresh cubed strawberries.
4. Cover the bottom and the edges of the Meringue with Ganache.
5. Add some curd and the compote.
6. Cover with Ganache and close it with the Meringue base.
Your delicious Pavlovas are ready! After 2 days in the fridge, my Meringues were still very crunchy!
Please feel free to ask all your questions in the comment section and don’t forget to send me pictures of your realisation on my email address: email@example.com or send me a DM on my Instagram account: blog_justonemorecake , I will post them at the end of the post 🙂
Still needing something sweet? Check out my previous recipe of the Baked Hazelnut Flan 😍🌰