Hi everyone! Today I’ll show you how to realise this delicious orange cake. The recipe comes from a famous French Pastry Chef named Pierre Hermé. This Cake is absolutely amazing, the taste of the orange and the texture are incredible. It has a nice crust outside with a moist inside, and it is flavored with some orange zests, orange juice and candied orange. 😍🍊 The recipe is very easy and quick to make!
For a 25,5x13x7cm Cake (capacity of 1,5L in water) :
- 4 eggs
- 250g of flour
- 3g of baking powder
- 200g of sugar*
- 125g of full liquid cream
- 85g of butter
- 1 pinch of salt
- Zest of 2 oranges
- 75g of candied orange
*I’ve slightly diminished the sugar quantity because I’ve put candied orange, otherwise it is 266g.
- 50g of orange peel
- 150g of orange juice
- 75g of sugar
- 75g of orange juice
- 30g of lemon juice ( = ~1)
Let’s get started with the candied orange!
1. Peel the orange using a peeler and try not to take too much of the white part. You can then, with a knife, remove even more some of the white parts.
2. Cut the peel into thin slices and place them in a saucepan. Add water and bring to boil. Empty the water and repeat this operation 2 more times. This will remove the bitterness of the orange peel.
3. Add the orange juice and the sugar. Cook over low heat for about 30min until there isn’t much juice left. Make sure to stir from time to time so the sugar doesn’t burn.
4. Spread the candied orange over a silicone mat and let them cool down.
5. Cut the slices into small cubes and store them in a container until use.
Now for the cake:
1. Combine the sugar with the orange zests and infuse for 15-20min.
2. Melt the butter and let it cool down.
3. Add the eggs to the sugar and whisk at high speed until the mixture is white.
4. Add the cream and the pieces of candied orange and whisk.
5. Incorporate the sifted flour, baking powder, and salt, with a spatula.
6. Finish by adding the cold melted butter.
7. Pour the mixture into your greased and floured mold. Add some candied orange on top if you want.
8. Cook the cake in a 160°C preheated oven (fan-assisted) for 1h. After 45min you can check. Mine cooked for only 50min. If you prick the middle of the cake with a knife, the blade should come out clean.
For the syrup:
1. Bring to boil the orange juice with the lemon juice.
2. Let the syrup cool down a little bit, then pour it over the hot cake, don’t forget the edges. You can filter the syrup to remove the pulp, but I like how it looks with the pulp. Stop adding syrup when the cake doesn’t absorb it anymore (I’ve personally used all the syrup).
3. When the cake is cold, you can unmold it.
Your delicious Orange Cake is ready! Enjoy!
Don’t forget to write an email to email@example.com to share your pictures of the recipe and your opinions! I will add them at the bottom of this article.