Hi everyone! You’ve probably came across many desserts that combine Pistachio and Orange Blossom. This association is so so delicious! My version is a Pie made up of a Sweet Crust, an airy Pistachio Financier Cake, Candied Orange, Pistachio Praline, Whipped Orange Blossom Ganache and Caramelized Pistachios! You’ll find at the end of the article a video of the whole process!
For a 22cm Pie:
- 90g of butter
- 57g of icing sugar
- 18g of pistachio powder
- 0,5g of salt
- 34g of eggs
- 150g of flour
- 48g of corn starch
- 90g of icing sugar
- 33g of pistachio powder
- 0.66g of baking powder
- 4.5g of inverted sugar (or honey)
- 33g of flour
- 56g of butter
- 90g of egg whites
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 egg yolk
- 5g of cream
- 350g of full liquid cream
- 77g of white chocolate
- 2,8g of gelatin
- 15g of orange blossom extract
- 150g of pistachios
- 95g of sugar
- 22g of water
- 150g of water
- 150g of sugar
- 250g of pistachios
- 25g of orange peel
- 180g of water
- 85g of sugar
- 27g of glucose
We’ll start with the Pie Crust:
1. Combine with the flat beater the flour, corn starch, pistachio powder, salt, icing sugar, and cold butter cut into small pieces. Mix until it has a sandy and fine texture.
2. Then, add the eggs and mix only until everything combines.
3. Wrap with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
4. The next day, roll out the dough to a 2mm thickness. Cut a 22cm circle and strip of the height and length of your pie ring.
5. Place the strip inside the mold and press on the edges to stick.
6. Place the circle at the bottom. Prick with a fork. Freeze for ~10min.
7. Preheat the oven to 160°C. Cook for ~12-13min. The pie should start to golden.
1. Melt the butter and let it cook until it browns. Let it cool down between 40-50°C.
2. Mix the pistachio powder with the flour, baking powder and salt.
3. Add the inverted sugar (or honey) to the butter and mix everything with the dry ingredients.
4. Whip the egg whites until very soft peaks.
5. Gently combine to the mixture.
6. Unmold the precooked pie. Apply a layer of egg wash inside and outside (egg yolks + cream).
7. Pipe the financier batter halfway to the top.
8. Cook for 12-15min. The crust and financier should be golden.
For the Ganache:
1. Hydrate the gelatin.
2. Bring to boil half of the cream with the orange blossom.
3. Pour over the hydrated gelatin and chopped chocolate. Mix for a few seconds with a hand blender.
4. Add the other half of cold cream. Wrap with cling film and refrigerate overnight.
For the Praline:
1. Heat the water and sugar to 116°C. Add the roasted pistachios.
2. Cook over medium heat, while stirring continuously, until they completely caramelize.
3. Let them cool down over a silicone mat.
4. Process in a food blender for 10-15min until you get a smooth and liquid paste. If the blender isn’t powerful enough, you can let it rest every 10min, or add a bit of neutral oil to help the process.
5. Add salt to taste.
For the Caramelized Pistachios:
1. Bring to boil the water and sugar.
2. Pour over the pistachios. Let them soak for 40min.
3. Preheat the oven to 170°C. Remove the pistachios from the syrup and spread over a tray. Cook for ~15min. They should come out golden.
For the candied Orange:
1. Peel oranges without the white part.
2. Boil the skin. Remove the water and repeat 2 more times.
3. In a saucepan, add the water, sugar, glucose and orange peels.
4. Bring to boil, and then let it completely cool down at room-temperature. Repeat 3 more times (the more you repeat, the sweeter and tender the peels will become, so the number of times depends on the result you want!).
It’s time to assemble!
1. Pipe the praline at the bottom of the pie.
2. Cut the candied oranges into thin slices and place over the praline.
3. Whip the Ganache until soft peaks. It should hold to the whisk but still be soft.
4. Pipe Ganache over the candied orange. Smooth the surface with a spatula. Add more Ganache in the centre and try to smooth it into a dome shape.
5. Refrigerate 1h. Sprinkle the surface of the Ganache with the caramelized pistachios.
6. Decorate with a gold leaf at the top if you wish!
Your Pie is ready! ENJOY!
Please feel free to ask all your questions in the comment section and don’t forget to send me pictures of your realisation on my email address: email@example.com or send me a DM on my Instagram account: blog_justonemorecake , I will post them at the end of the post 🙂