Hi everyone! The strawberries are finally here! To celebrate their arrival I’ve made one of my favorite pie, the strawberry one. This pie is made of a nice pie crust filled with an almond cream and topped with custard cream and fresh strawberries. An awesome pie for summer days! Like usual my recipes come from the famous French pastry Philippe Conticini.
For a 26cm diameter pie:
- 250g of flour
- 125g of icing sugar
- 125g of butter
- 30g of almond powder
- 50g of egg (1)
- one lemon zest (or orange if you prefer)
- 1 pinch of salt
The almond cream:
- 60g of butter
- 60g of sugar (or honey, it works perfectly)
- 60g of eggs (1,2)
- 60g of almond powder
The custard cream:
- 300ml of semi-skimmed milk
- 48g of egg yolks (2 and a bit of the third)
- 12g of corn starch
- 10g of flour
- 60g of honey (or sugar)
- 24g of butter
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2,4g of powdered gelatin
- 400g of strawberries
- 20g of honey
- 20g of water
For the pie crust:
1. In a bowl whisk the softened butter with the icing sugar. Take your butter out of the fridge minimum 1h30 before beginning, it will be easier.
2. Add the eggs, the almond powder and the lemon zest (or orange).
3. On your work surface put the sifted flour and create a well. Add the mixture in the center.
4. With a spatula, bring back the flour to the center and intersect the dough using vertically movements. At first it looks like a crumble but then the dough will come together until forming a nice ball. It takes several minutes. With this method the gluten inside the flour will not be “activated” so your pie crust will be crunchy and not elastic.
5. Finally, mash strongly the dough three or four times on your work surface.
6. Form a ball and refrigerate minimum 30 minutes. (you can also make it the day before)
7. Once your dough has rested in the fridge, roll it out to a 3mm thickness between two parchment paper.
8. Place it over your tart ring and carefully bring the edges inside the ring. With your forefinger press the dough against the wall and create an angle.
9. Cut the surplus and place it in the fridge for 30 minutes (or 15 minutes in the freezer).
Now let’s realize the almond cream:
1. Mix the softened butter with the sugar (or honey). Add the eggs.
2. Finish with the almond powder and mix well.
3. Fill the bottom of the pie crust with this almond cream.
4. Cook in a 180°C preheated oven (fan assisted, otherwise normal) for approximately 20-25 minutes. The crust and the almond cream must have a nice golden color.
5. Let it completely cool.
For the syrup:
1. Bring to boil the water and the honey. Keep until use.
For the custard cream:
1. Place your powdered gelatin in 6 times its weight in water, so for 2,4g of gelatin, in 15g of water. Let it hydrate for 15 minutes.
2. In a saucepan, bring to simmering point the milk with the vanilla bean and the vanilla extract. (for more flavor you can let this mixture infuse one night in the fridge)
3. In a bowl, whisk the egg yolks and the honey (or sugar) until it slightly whitens.
4. Add the sifted flour and the corn starch.
5. Once the milk have simmered, pour two third of it gradually on the egg mixture while whisking. Return the mixture in the saucepan and cook on low heat until it boils. When the cream boils, cook for one more minute to remove the flour taste.
6. Remove from the heat and add the gelatin and the very cold butter.
7. Put the cream in a pan and wrap it with cling film. The film must touch the surface to prevent a skin from forming. Refrigerate for minimum 4 hours, the best is to realize it the day before.
It’s time to assemble everything!
1. Take your custard cream out of the fridge and whip it at maximum speed for a few minutes to incorporate as much air as possible.
2. Spread evenly the custard cream on top of the almond crea. Keep a small space at the border of the pie.
3. Cut the strawberries in half and decorate as in the pictures. Finally, slightly brush a bit of syrup on top of the strawberries to make them shine. You can put some mint leaves if you have, it will be beautiful.
We’re done! Keep the tart refrigerated until tasting!
Don’t forget to write an email to firstname.lastname@example.org to share your pictures of the recipe and your opinions! I will add them at the bottom of this article.