Hi everyone! You know how much I love cakes, so I had to make one with a seasonal fruit, the strawberry 🍓 So this is a vanilla Cake, filled with homemade strawberry jam, topped with some dots of whipped strawberry ganache and glazed with some white chocolate! I really love this recipe, the texture of the cake is sooo moist and light and its vanilla flavor is very intense. The chocolate layer adds some crunchiness and the strawberry brings a lot of taste and freshness. The vanilla and strawberry combo is a must-try!
For a 25cm diameter Cake (with a 10cm hole in the middle) *
*You can also use a regular cake mold of a water capacity of 1,5L.
- 2 eggs (100g)
- 220g of flour
- 130g of granulated sugar
- 6g of baking powder
- 110g of neutral oil
- 184mL of whole milk
- 100g of heavy cream or full liquid cream
- 1g of salt
- 2 tsp of vanilla extract (6g)
- 2 hints of vanilla powder (0,65g)
- 2 sachets of vanilla sugar
- 100mL of full liquid cream (70g + 30g)
- 50g of white chocolate
- 1,2g of powdered gelatin (or sheets)
- 65g of strawberries
- 200g of strawberries
- 20g of sugar
- 20g of lemon juice
- Some fresh strawberry slices
- 300g of white chocolate
- 50g of neutral oil
*I’ve purposely used a large amount of icing because it is better to glaze it at one go without having to use the surplus in order to get a better result. You can then spread the surplus over an aluminum sheet and freeze it a couple of minutes. You can then reuse this white chocolate for another recipe!
We’ll start with the whipped ganache (it must be made a day ahead):
1. Hydrate the powdered gelatin in 6 times its weight in cold water. Let it sit for 10min.
2. Melt the white chocolate in a bain-marie (or in the microwave).
3. Mix the fresh strawberries to have a smooth coulis. Place it in a saucepan with the largest amount of liquid cream (70g). Bring to boil.
4. Pour the boiling cream in 3 times over the white chocolate. Mix vigorously.
5. Add the hydrated gelatin and the rest of cold cream (30g).
6. Wrap with cling film (the film must touch the surface). Refrigerate overnight.
Now for the jam:
1. Cut the strawberries into small pieces. Place them in a bowl and add the sugar and lemon juice. Let it macerate in the fridge for a couple of hours (the best would be overnight).
2. Place the mixture in a saucepan and cook over medium heat for around 20min. You must stir from time to time.
3. Take some jam with a spoon, if the jam flows slowly it is ready. Otherwise, let it cook a bit longer so it thickens more.
4. Keep the jam in a jar until use.
For the cake:
1. Preheat the oven to 180°C/356°F (fan-assisted).
2. Mix the eggs with the sugar, the vanilla sugar, the vanilla extract and the vanilla powder at high speed until it whitens.
3. Always at the same speed, add the neutral oil little by little (almost drop by drop) to create an emulsion.
4. Decrease the speed and add the cold milk and cream.
5. With a spatula, incorporate the sifted flour, salt and baking powder. Gently mix until everything is perfectly combined.
6. Pour the mixture into your mold. Cook for ~30min. When you prick the cake with a knife, the blade should come out clean.
7. Let it cool down before unmolding.
It’s time to assemble!
1. Take your ganache out of the fridge. Whip it by increasing the speed gradually. It must have the same consistency than whipped cream, firm enough to stick to the whisks.
2. Place the ganache in a pastry bag fitted with a large plain tip. Refrigerate minimum 20min.
3. Turn the cake and create small holes spaced out at least 1/2cm.
4. Place the jam in a pastry bag fitted with a small tip or a filling tip.
5. Pipe a generous amount of jam inside each holes.
6. Turn the cake.
7. Pipe dots of whipped ganache over the surface. Freeze for at least 2 hours.
For the glaze:
1. Melt the white chocolate in a bain-marie (or microwave).
2. Add the oil and mix.
3. Take the cake out of the freezer. The ganache must be very hard.
4. Pour the glaze over the cake. Make sure that the inner edges are also coated. Let it harden at room-temperature for a couple of minutes.
5. Add some strawberry slices.
Your Vanilla and Strawberry Cake is ready! Let it return to room-temperature before enjoying it!
Don’t forget to write an email to email@example.com to share your pictures of the recipe and your opinions! I will add them at the bottom of this article. If you have any questions please leave a comment!